Jaipur Journey - 8th - 18th January 2019 with Colouricious Holidays.

 
One of the wooden printing blocks we will use for 
the metallic printing workshop.

This time next year I will be at Heathrow airport ready to fly to Jaipur. 
Whhooo hoo!! it is VERY exciting!

I am going back to Jaipur, India, to be inspired by the remarkable textures, patterns and colours. 
While I was wandering around this amazing city in on the Colouricious Textile Holidays in September 2016 and again in January 2017, I kept thinking to myself this would be the most incredible place to teach my journey design exercise. Everywhere you go there is something beautiful, interesting or just plain incredible. The palaces, the gardens even the roadside has inspiration at every turn.
So - I approached Jamie Malden, owner of Colouricious Textile Holidays with my idea and she Yes! - immediately. Just like that. Isn't a good feeling when people have faith in you?

I am leading The Jaipur Journey textile holiday January 8th - 18th 2019 
Fancy coming with me? Here is the link for the information.  

We will be staying at the Alsisar Haveli - www.alsisarhaveli.com


The Alsisar Haveli Jaipur


One of the bedrooms - is is big enough?


The stunning dining room.

The hotel is booked and Jamie and I have arranged all the activities. I hope to get a balance of trips out, a bit of teaching and time for exploring this remarkable city. I have various places to take you to give you inspiration to draw, takes rubbings etc. Please don't worry, this is not a DRAWING holiday. If you can draw that is great but I just want you to look at shapes, lines, colours, patterns and textures and record them however you wish. You can take photos on your iPad or phone and use them as reference. The 'looking' is as important as the 'doing'.
The hotel will be as inspirational as anything else you see in Jaipur, it is exquisitely decorated. It is, after all, a palace.

You will paint your own interpretation of the shapes and lines you see in and around Jaipur. From your Journey exercise you will take a section and make 2 printing blocks. We will then print up fabrics with your own designs. These prints can be further embellished with stitch if you wish. It will be interesting to see how you all develop your ideas. I will give you as much, or as little, support as you need.

My Jaipur Journey.

 
The printing blocks I made from a section of the Journey exercise.



 
Applique from my design ironed onto hand dyes silk fibres.


More applique plus Bondaweb cut to my design and the foiled.
There are so many ways to use just one design, and hopefully you will develop several.


i am looking forward to showing you the places that I love and inspire me.


 
 
 Patterns, shapes and designs at a salvage yard.

No visit to Jaipur would be complete without a visit to the Amer Fort Palace. Even if you have been before there are always new things to discover, it is a remarkable place. Palace even.


 
 
 

We have also planned a visit to SatGurus, my favourite place to have clothes made. It is an Aladdins cave of colour and sparkle. With salesmen who are not too pushy, a great relief.


 Stacks of embroidered textiles - sigh

 
 So much to chose from.

 It was very hard to choose which pashmina to bring home - for the cold weather in Ireland you understand!!


I find the roadsides just as much inspiration as the grand palaces - Colour, lines and shapes everywhere.

 
 
Wonderful colours and textures.

We travel in an air conditioned coach for the group outings . .


 And maybe by tuc tuc for your own explorations - there are taxis too.

We will be going to my favourite print workshop, out of all the printing workshops I have visited, this is my absolute favourite - it is well oraginsed for such a large group and they have the most beautiful printing blocks too. The factory workers help us with the printing, they are very patient, and try to keep up with the all the metallic paint we use. Everyone gets so excited.

Anne King showing perfect deportment for printing! Hello Anne.


The metallic printing workshop is a highlight for me.

As is a trip to the Blue Pottery, I aim to buy a piece every time I travel to Jaipur. There is such an amazing array of pieces and styles - all hand decorated. We also have a talk on how the pottery is made, it is fascinating.


Part of the Blue Pottery showroom

One of the main outings will be to Jantar Mantar. It is a collection of nineteen HUGE architectural astronomical instruments, built by the Rajput king Sawai Jai Singh II, and completed in 1734. I find the simple but beautiful shapes a rest from all the colour and bustle of Jaipur. It is very peaceful within the walls, a chance to rest your senses but still be inspired.


 
 
Incredible shapes and lines - just stunning.

There are still few things to finalise, but everything is now basically in place for us to have a fabulous time.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask me - info@kimthittichai.com

Catherine and Caroline planning a tuc tuc adventure.

Namaste




XXX

Comments

Popular posts

Extreme Surfaces for Stitch - West Dean College July 17 - 20

Zap, Pow, Slash and Burn! Foredown Tower part the first

Hot Textiles at The Bridge, Brighton. 6th and 7th September

The Full Works - 2 day workshop, Solihull Embroiderers Guild 17th & 18th July

More prettys at Bobbys

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot Techniques for jewelled surfaces - part 2

Sussex Quilters - Tinkering with Tyvek workshop 5th June

West Dean - Layered Textiles - Hot techniques for jewelled surfaces part 3

Registering your interest in my online teaching . . .

Colouricious Textiles Holiday - Block Printing Jaipur. 20th - 30th September 2016